
I don’t hold any special degree, astounding title, or higher certification. I am “just a mom”, or at least that is what some say. Why do people feel the need to point that out? They have completely missed the mark .... I am so much more than that!
Above all, I am a child of God - “just like you!” I am also a wife, daughter, granddaughter, sister, aunt, and friend. I am a teacher, coach, secretary, nurse, chauffeur, chef, maid, writer, painter, artist, gardener, inventor, construction worker, designer, stylist, athlete, musician, handyman, and the list goes on.....
But, let’s get back to me being “just a mom”. Being a mom is a magnificent gift from God, a glorious honor. God has entrusted ME to raise three beautiful children in His ways: to give them life, love, and direction; to teach them things like right from wrong, respect, and kindness; to take them to church to learn about Jesus; to offer them advice about friends and sex; to guard them from drugs, alcohol, and other horrible sins of this world; to help them set lofty goals; to love them unconditionally; and to pray for them daily. So why is being “just a mom” seen as such an insignificant job? Wasn’t it YOUR mom that brought you into this world in the first place?
The job of being a mom is one of the hardest fields of work that anyone could ever take on, and the responsibilities are not always clearly designated. It is a challenging permanent work in an OFTEN chaotic environment. It requires excellent communication and organizational skills. I work all hours, including evenings and weekends, while being on 24 hour call. I am sometimes hated, abused (in pillow fights), used (for $ of course), and I must have the ability to bite my tongue repeatedly. The hardest part is being able to maintain enough physical stamina to go from 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds flat at the sound of every scream. Often times I am even forced to darn the three P’s - you know, the ones that smell bad and feel icky!?!
None the less, the fact that I am able to spend virtually all my time with my children is wonderful. Nothing compares to the simple moments with my kids. My children are given plenty of time to sit with me, rock with me, talk to me, tell me about their drawings, imagine their futures with me, see the stars and the moon with me, enjoy a sunrise or sunset with me, cry to me about hurt feelings, pray with me, etc. All these things give motherhood its incredible highs, and nurtures fierce love. Being a mom is so much more fulfilling than anything I have ever done. And, yes, that is ALL I EVER ASPIRED TO BE!
Maybe the job of being “just a mom” would be considered more of an accomplishment to you if I told you I am a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations, that I am working on my Masters and already have 3 credits, that this type of job is for sure the most demanding in the Humanities. Do I then go in the records as someone more distinguished? Maybe to you, but I would rather be known as ..... “just a mom”!
Well said.
ReplyDelete